At the farm we raise more than lavender! This year we have a good sized mint patch and so we’re starting to cook with mint. For a pot luck a couple of weeks ago I made this watermelon mint salad.
- 7-8 lb. seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground lavender
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Cut the watermelon off of the peel and chop into bite sized bits. Put into a colander so the watermelon can drain as you are preparing the rest of the items. Chop up the red onion and the mint into small pieces. Crumble up the feta so it will make pea or bean sized pieces. Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lavender, and salt. Then put them all in a bowl and combine gently. Liquid will form at the bottom of the bowl, so you can serve it with a slotted spoon to avoid puddles on the plate.